NEED TO GET AWAY? PLANNING A PERFECT SUMMER WEEKEND TRIP: THE STORY OF A TYPE-A PLANNER
Updated: Jun 6, 2018
I love a good weekend getaway, but what I really love is a well-planned weekend getaway. I happen to be someone who LOVES to plan ahead, but mostly because it ensures that I can relax and have things taken care of when I get there. Let’s be clear; it’s not fun or relaxing to have every-single-thing planned down to the second and to be a pain in the ass about shuttling people from one place to the other…so don’t be that girl. I’d just rather be safe than sorry; you can always cancel plans but making an 8:00 reservation for 5 people the day of is almost impossible.
HERE ARE SOME THINGS I THINK ABOUT WHEN PLANNING A WELL-ROUNDED WEEKEND TRIP
I LOVE the Hopper app, it lets you watch flights you are interested and tells you when they are lowest in price, even notifying you the day before the price will increase. If you are taking a train or ferry, do yourself a favor & bring a bottle of wine (don’t forget a corkscrew), some plastic cups & a deck of cards. If you’re in the car, make a great playlist!
A PLACE TO STAY
I do a lot of research when it comes to places to stay and use apps like Hotels Tonight, Expedia & GILT City to find great deals on nice hotels. I prefer to stay in a hotel rather than a house because everyone gets a bed, it’s turn-key and has room service (duh).
What I look for in a hotel:
· Restaurant or bar in hotel or right next door (you might not want to have to go somewhere every time you’re hungry…or need a cocktail)
· Walking distance to center of town and/or beach (again, you probably don’t want to have to worry about Uber-ing everywhere – unnecessarily expensive and a pain)
· Guest photos (the hotel is always going to have great looking photos, Expedia will let you look at guest photos to see if they match up)
· Cleanliness (READ REVIEWS!)
· Word to the wise – a “cozy” room is code for “small AF” – that’s why it’s $75/night
WHAT TO DO/WHERE TO EAT
I always go to GILT City & Groupon to see what local places are running great deals & what local people in town are doing. Making reservations has never been easier than with OpenTable (I’m obsessed), they give you ratings, menus & atmosphere hints.
· Spa Day (need I say more?)
· Boutique workout classes (try something new!)
· Bar Crawl (this requires a little research, but hopping from local bars in a new place with friends is too much fun)
· Wine tasting (you can find a wine/beer or liquor tasting in almost every place you go – many include tours & lunch)
· Something specific to the area (i.e. take a boat out fishing, go to theater, take a golf lesson *my girlfriends and I just did this and had the best time*)
· Live music (whether it’s in a bar or concert venue, check the city/town’s local calendar to see what they’ve got going on)
When you get there, don’t stress if some of your plans fall through & you stay at the beach eating hot dogs instead of going to your 7:00 dinner reservation. I’ve found that people like to know what they’re in for because it makes it easier to pack and prepare, but it doesn’t mean that you have to stick to a regimented schedule. Give yourself some options and go with the flow of the trip!
Love you, Mean it.